Warren E. Hardy Family

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Welcome to the Family Amanda

 (Maureen, Alonzo, Rick)
 On 4/2/91 my mother Dottie passed away. One year and one day later 4/3/92 Amanda Mercedes Stephens was born. Little did I know then how this little baby girl was going to come into my life or in the way she would touch my heart.
 After my unfortunate divorce in 1991 I thought that it would be the end of the family that I had known and loved. You never actually realize how important your family is until you`ve lost it. Subsequently for 2 years I went through the motions of my ever evolving life, going to work and taking care of my children, doing what I needed to do. I would pick up my children for my weekends and attend their school activities all the while paying little or no attention at all to this newborn child. When she began to speak she referred to me in the same way that she had heard her siblings refer to me as Dad. I thought it was cute and I answered to dad so I never considered correcting her. My daughters would sometimes be asked on my weekends with them to attend to their little sister so they would ask me if they could bring her along and eventually she would end up spending some nights at our home. One afternoon when Amanda was about the age of five, I came home from work and my girls were playing a game with Amanda on the TV. As they heard me open the door and enter the house they all turned around and Amanda said to me, “You’re not my dad”. It seems that her mother had decided to tell her that I wasn't her biological father which absolutely caught me of guard. I had no idea how that simple little statement or utterance would have the effect on me in the way that it did. I crawled down onto the floor next to her and said, “I know, but I always wanted a little girl just like you”, to which she replied by saying “Can I still call you dad”? And the rest I guess you could say is history. Amanda would sometimes ride the school bus home to our house after school and I would be there waiting. I would make her an afternoon snack of Mac and Cheese as she recalls and her mother would pick her up in the evenings. I always included her in all of our family outings and took her with us to the Hardy Family Reunions. She was part of my family, one of mine without a doubt. I had no inkling that this little child could have crept into my heart the way that she did or that as a person I had the ability to love another child just as much as I loved one of my own.
 While attending her graduation from boot camp in Paris Island, South Carolina, I arrived there first before the rest of our family. I watched from the grandstands as young men and women would line up in squads and march early that morning before the sun came up. I could hear drill sergeants yelling at them and see them getting in their faces. As I walked around that Military base and observed all of the Monuments and Memorials I thought about all of those soldiers that had come here previously. A feeling of respect and reverence came over me because of the history there before me. Later on that afternoon all of the families were gathered together in a large auditorium waiting for the drill sergeants to bring in the Marines and give the order to dismiss them to their awaiting families. They were marched in and the order was given. As they dispersed into the crowd I walked among hugging families and was surrounded by tearful cries of joy. Young Marines were looking around on the tips of their toes trying to catch a glimpse of their families and loved ones. As I wandered through the crowd looking for my Amanda I caught a glimpse of a young lady in front of me and from behind I called out to her, “Amanda”? She turned around and said, “Hi Dad”. Hi dad, I have never been so proud to be called that and from this amazing young lady. The emotion that came over me was not only unexpected it was over whelming. We embraced and I burst into tears. I held on so tight that I couldn't let go. How proud I was of this young woman and of what she had become. We spent the rest of the afternoon together before the rest of our family arrived. It was and will always be one of my most cherished memories.
 About a year ago I received a phone call from Amanda. She asked me if I would consider adopting her. I had been contemplating that very same question for quite a while and was wondering how to go about approaching her with that exact proposal. She was and always has been one of mine, one of my daughters without question. A year and a half later of correspondence and the signing of documents with notaries and appearing in court, I am proud to introduce my little girl my daughter and my Marine to our family. And yes,” I always wanted a little girl just like her”. Amanda is currently serving us and this great country of ours in Afghanistan. Please keep Amanda and the rest of our sons and daughters, fathers and mothers serving this great nation in your thoughts and prayers. Also to whomever it is that`s in charge of the family tree in the big white tent please include Amanda Mercedes Stephens to my children and to our family.
Thank you, Amanda’s Dad, Richard Stephens





Loved reading this, thanks for sharing.  Marcy

2 Comments:

Blogger V3forfreedom said...

That is sooo awesome! Congratulations! And thank you for sharing with us!

March 1, 2013 at 12:47 AM  
Blogger V3forfreedom said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

March 1, 2013 at 12:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home